Kamis, 07 Juli 2011

Modern China at its most horrific

The Dark Road A Novel

The Dark Road A Novel

The horrors of modern China with its "one child" policy and endemic corruption make this book a compelling read. This is the story of Melei, a young peasant woman, her husband and child. Forced to abandon their home because the "one child" policy means she has to abort her second child, the reader senses her pain and terror as she watches a child who was born alive be murdered by the doctors.

This family goes through a long list of horrors as they lose their home and are forced to live on a boat. Pollution and corruption are everywhere and their life is one big struggle. Through the years the misfortunes continue, their marriage is strained, the government policies unbelievably cruel. They do survive however and through the years manage to improve their condition somewhat.

The story is compelling and has a touch of magic realism to it. The characters are developed with excruciating detail and I was thrust into their lives, wincing at its revolting descriptions on every page.

This is their story. But is also the story of China itself. I easily identified with Melei and winced a lot at the horror of her life. It sure made me feel fortunate to be born in America..

Get your The Dark Road A Novel Now!

5 komentar:

  1. I'm looking for some stuff to watch. Preferably ones from this millenium. Pretty much any genre works. To give you a little to go by, my favorite movies are The Departed, Dark Knight, and 127 Hours.

    BalasHapus
  2. I'm in a bit of a road block so to speak in my newest novel that I am current working on. I have a good image in my head as far as what I want to write down but I can't put it into descriptive words. In my mind I see a large number of the undead in a corridor of a building just munching away at bloodied bodies of humans both dead and alive. For some reason I can't write down the ghastly scene from my head to netbook. Can someone help me out with this a little bit?

    BalasHapus
  3. I've never really been a big reader but I want to start. I'd like books that are quite philosophical and have a big impact also theory's and views on life etc. Quite dark stuff is more than welcome :) Just please make sure it's interesting. Many thanks, peace and love

    BalasHapus
  4. I've been googling first person novels but I just can't seem to find anything that's really worth reading.

    BalasHapus
  5. My novel is about a man who is diagnosed with xeroderma pigmentosum after a dangerous car accident that nearly kills him and his wife. I'm not going to explain what it's about any further because I don't want to ruin my novel. These were the titles I had in mind: DARK LIGHTNING, LIGHTNING ROAD, DARK LIGHT, THE SEEKER, and DECEMBER ROAD.

    BalasHapus